Tiramisu Recipe (Without Egg)Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Hey guys! As promised, here's a really simple tiramisu recipe you can make (that doesn't require raw eggs).
This recipe serves about 4 decent sized helpings. It's not too rich, and just the right amount of wet between the sponge fingers (if you get the dipping right!), and very satisfying!
Here's what you need:
Deep tray (about 25cm long x 10cm wide); or if you like, you can also make the tiramisu in small glasses
Sponge fingers (Savoiardi biscuits) - about 15 pieces
300g Cream (check the label, it should have 35% fat, not 45)
9 tbsp icing sugar
1 1/2 glasses strong coffee/espresso
3 tbsp Dark rum (you can substitute this with brandy)
3 tbsp Baileys (you can substitute this with marsala wine or Tia Maria)
2 tsp Vanilla extract
- Combine 50ml coffee with the mascarpone, vanilla extract, and liqueurs. Whisk thoroughly till smooth.
- Whisk the cream together with about 8 tablespoons of icing sugar, then fold into the above mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon of icing sugar to the remaining coffee, and pour into a flat pan.
- Roll the sponge fingers in the coffee. Be careful not to roll for too long, or your tiramisu will turn out watery; but also do not roll for too short a time, because then the tiramisu will be too dry.
- Line the base/s of your serving tray/glasses with sponge fingers.
- Spoon the mascarpone mixture into the tray/glasses. The mixture should be about double the height of the sponge finger base.
- Refrigerate for half an hour.
- Before serving, dust cocoa powder over the top of the tiramisu.
And you're done! Enjoy your homemade tiramisu :)